IPOPHL: Netizens must STOP using 'CTTO, photo not mine' when posting other's photos!

The regulatory board noted that posting other people's photos and artworks without proper acknowledgment violates intellectual property laws.
IPOPHL: Netizens must STOP using 'CTTO, photo not mine' when posting other's photos!
IPOPHL logo (Photo from IPOPHL Facebook)

Permission first before posting the original content

Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines explains that using phrases like 'CTTO or credits to the owner' and 'photo not mine' must be stopped. IPOPHL Director-General Rowel Barba said,

Using CTTO does not excuse yung kumopya o gumamit noon. Dapat kukunin niya yung permiso bago niya ilalathala o gagamitin yung orihinal na content.

Barba also encourages creators to guard their original works through copyrights. He also said that many Filipinos in the creative sector like dancers, singers, photographers, painters, etc. are not aware of their rights.

Aside from pushing the need for copyrights, IPOPHL also pushes people to file patents to protect their inventions. The regulator emphasized patents are "an exclusive right that allows the inventor to exclude others from making, using, or selling the product of his invention during the life of the patent."

Barba said that 90 percent of the patents are from foreign individuals then the remaining 10 percent are local patentees. They haven't discovered yet the factors attributing to low patent applications but IPOPHL reported that some inventors sell their discoveries before they finish their patent applications.

Due to that reasons, IPOPHL Deputy Director-General Teodoro Pascua advised inventors to apply for patents for their work first before selling it to investors.

The regulatory board shared that they are offering assistance to inventors through programs. The Inventor Assistance Program for example provides free legal assistance by accredited lawyers to those who cannot afford to prosecute and protect their rights as inventors.

Meanwhile, the Young Inventors Program provides incentives to youth inventors in filing fees in order to encourage them to file patents for their inventions. There are also a total of 77 innovation and technology support offices in the Philippines to help with the filing of patents.

IPOPHL said it aims to pursue amendments to the IP Code in the next Congress. Currently, it receives more trademark applications than patents.

What do you think?

Source: ABS-CBN
IPOPHL: Netizens must STOP using 'CTTO, photo not mine' when posting other's photos! IPOPHL: Netizens must STOP using 'CTTO, photo not mine' when posting other's photos! Reviewed by Telenor Editorial on June 08, 2022 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.